Just a cup of Gie

twitter

Follow My Tweets

something about airport security line

Posted in

I've been wandering in a slight trance since my return from New Delhi; the body has been debilitated from the awful weather and working conditions. Now that I'm recovering from this gruesome trip, happenings on my last day there has been on a playback mode.

New Delhi (probably second to Australia) has security checks as many as the sunglasses I own (read: excessive). Since it came under a series of terrorist attacks, New Delhi has been placed under high-level security alert and most of India's airports are now operating on a three-tier security system. As a cooperative global citizen and regular road warrior, I welcome the extra security measures, even if it means having to check in at the airport earlier; unzip my bag take out my lappie and place it in the tray for the third time within the hour; witness my $30 body lotion got dumped in the trash because it's 'not allowed in handcarry bags'; or hurriedly scribble on my arrival /departure card as I cut the ridiculously-long queue (only in India!) at immigrations. I don't mind having my suitcase opened for random security checks if deemed necessary. (Calvin Klein undies are not nothing to be ashamed of)

But what if I told you that despite all the measures, something dreadful could still happen because of... a gross mistake made by the very people we (are supposed to) entrust our safety to?

Just hours away from home, Kat and I were simply effete as we made our way through the scanners at New Delhi International Airport. As I slumped onto the cold metal beach, Kat reached into her bag for water. After a few seconds of silence, she grabbed my arm, "Eh!"

"What!?" I was hoping she didn't lose any valuables in the club lounge because it's impossible to reverse past immigrations.

"I can bring water in leh!" she showed me her one-litre plastic water bottle which was half-filled.

I was reminded of my own water bottle in my bag pack and quickly looked for it. It was there. In my bag. Got past the scanners. So did my can of NesCafe Latte.


Kat and I stared blankly at each other in disbelief.

"Could there be another security check before we board the plane?" I offered to explain. Anyway we were thirsty and that oversight seemed more like God-sent. But as far as it is, there was no more security check before we board the plane. We went through the boarding gates and that's it.

I cannot emphasize more on how strange this situation was. The last time I saw a compact knife being used on the plane, I already thought it was a terrible oversight by customs (mind you, that was in Singapore's Changi Airport). Now the Indian customs missed the whole blardy water bottle?! Isn't this preposterous or what?


I never quite understood the purpose of banning passengers from carrying sharp objects onto the plane, when sharp metal cutlery is easily available during the distribution of meal trays. -furrows and shrugs- I don't get it.

Comments (2)

ok this sounds like a lapse..

anyway, now they don't use plastic knife for the in-flight meals?

and I swear I have seen swiss knife sold in the duty free shop in the airport!

As far as I know, Cathay, Thai Airways, Qantas & SIA use steel cutlery. Have always been like this leh... I thought they would change to plastic after 9-11. Strange right?

Oh I didn't know about sale of swiss knife in DFS... And to think the officers confiscated my colleague's lighter. That small little lighter.