Just a cup of Gie

twitter

Follow My Tweets

my being away

Posted in ,


Quite a few things happened while I was away in Sydney, gawking at Aussie surfer boys...

1. Karen, Wanjun and the rest of the chin-chiong gang partied their Friday night away at Zouk, without me. Twice.
2. My Scrubs fix on YouTube is closed. Damn the copyrights...
3. People decided to get married and throw me the red bomb. Sorry, me in Adelaide. Will sit at the pub and drink to your marriage.
4. Some homo sapiens I called friends decided to talk and gossip behind my back. Thanks people!
5. The Brother took over my room and stashed his stuff at every corner of my room.

Sigh... the world didn't stop for my being away... =)

Anywho, I had a great time in Sydney, except for the last bit when the Australian customs decided that my four bottles of Solo lemon juice and a 150ml of Kalabu Plum & Macadamia Nut Hydrating Lotion are good enough to bring down the plane. So the sorry-arse-looking officer put the items in a small plastic container and gave me a you-can-forget-about-getting-them-back look. Sweet. There goes my AU$30 worth of crap...

Seafood in Sydney is one of its kind - AWESOME! I had the record number of St. Jacques (scallops), oysters, fish fillet, French dessert, lobsters and crabs; all in a week. As much as I dislike to entertain the snobbish French clients, I must admit I get rewarded with free fine dining at some of the best dining places in Sydney.

Wide selection @ Sydney Fish Market

Grilled Tiger Prawns & St. Jacques with baked cheese @ Sydney Fish Market

Eddie with our to-be-dinner @ Golden Century Restaurant

I must mention about Golden Century Restaurant - an old Chinese restaurant with no sense of interior design. It boasts good authentic Chinese food. No crappy fried rice or chaw kuay teow. Each of us was given a set of 2 St. Jacques. I found a tiny strand of hair in my second shell and asked the waiter to change. No questions asked. He came back with another set of 2 shells and hurried me to eat before they turn cold. But dude, I'm working on the lobster now! Then I found a pleasant surprise; one shell has 2 scallops! The no-frills restaurant is fully packed even on a Monday night. Totally worth the waiting.

We had good seafood at Nick's, Sydney Fish Market (must-go!) and Black Angus steak at The Rocks Waterfront. Pity we didn't get to eat the pancakes at The Rocks, which everyone was raving about. Kat and I walked there late, only to find the gates shut. Next time maybe...

I hung out at the Darling Habour most since the exhibition takes place at the Darling Habour Convention Centre. I ate at the food court there, shopped at the HabourSide Mall and 'eat snake' at the wharf. I don't mean to always put Singapore down. With much due respect, I still love my country. But we certainly cannot emulate the sophisticated lifestyle or cityscape of our big brothers. Think Esplanade. Yeah, beautiful architecture, good fengshui spot, budding arts hub. But it's cold. As in ghostly, unlike the vibrant atmosphere at Darling Habour. I used to stroll along the Merlion Park and have a quiet lunch near the Merlion. A whelm of sadness would overcome me and soon enough I think of jumping into the river (albeit a dirty one). LOL! I did the same at Darling Habour - grabbed my lunch, slided on my sunnies, walked out into the sun, sat along the steps of the wharf with many others, watched seagulls hobbling by and kids having fun at the large spiral water fountain. Blithe is such.

Spiral water fountain @ Darling Habour

More amusing than a row of seagulls

Kat, my colleague decided to reward me with an additional day in town on the pretext of 'I need your help'. I really thought so until she told me I am free to roam around while she takes an extra long nap in bed. So Bondi Beach I went! 5 train stations and a few bus-stops was all it took. Don't ask why I didn't strut along the sandy coast in my biniki. A woman's troubles cannot be explained. Pity. But it was definitely worth the visit.

Bondi Beach on a weekday

Beach Hire

Sand castle on the rise

Bikinis don't come cheap, even at the Bondi beach. Tis the season to welcome spring/summer and jack up the prices of swimwear! There is only one shop - in my opinion - sells decently good swimwear and accessories: The Big Swim. My secret fantasy of being a femme cowboy was fulfilled; I got myself a Roxy straw hat. Kat laughed at me, "When are you wearing it? Are you even wearing it?" Boy this lady doesn't know I'm gungho enough to wear it to the exhibition hall the next day. It's Aussie! Everyone else wears a straw hat and sunnies. I like...

"You've got a nice cowboy hat and I am a handsome young man. Shall we go out together?" a guy from Melbourne cheekily asked. He does resemble someone from Entourage as he led his 30-odd Melbourne gang who were in town for a friend's wedding. I laughed and shook my head. Apologies dude, I'm interested in surfer boys.

Kat and I spotted a couple of odd signages which had us laughing for a while.















Not the kind of English one would expect in Australia; by the time you read this sign, you'd be dead meat.

Now I'm looking forward to Adelaide. Not the transit part though.

More pictures here: http://flyawayme.shutterfly.com/action/

Comments (0)