I wasn’t going to spend anything more than 2 bucks for my late dinner; I had the two dollar unhealthily-fried McChicken in mind. At 9p.m., my appetite for a wholesome meal just isn’t quite in place.
But before I walked into Bugis Junction, a signboard from the opposite side of the road caught my eye – RAMEN.
-eyes open WIDE-
I found myself quickly seated at the ramen store faster than the staff could greet me ni hao. Dispense with the formalities, serve me my dinner. I already know what I want...
– points finger to the menu-
Spicy Beef Ramen - one sure way to grade a ramen store. Have a bowl of beef ramen and you’d know if you’ll find yourself patronizing again.
Perhaps it was the hunger or maybe it was late and dark already. I need to remind myself to look twice as carefully when making my order; it was Five Spices Beef Noodle that I ordered. Not spicy beef? Never mind, I’m already hungry as it is. No time for trivia mistakes (especially when it’s by yours-truly moi).
Clear soup base with a tinge of herbiness (if there’s such a word), chewy handmade ramen and a good 7-9 slices of beef (they seemed to appear out of nowhere). I’m pretty fussy when it comes to red meat – not too much fat, keep the tendons away, throw out the tough ones. Koo Kee’s beef slices are just about there. Not too thick and right the right amount of fat pockets within layers of thinly sliced red meat.
Yumms~
All good for $5.80. Okay, the waitress charged me another 50cents for a pathetically small bowl of pickles and a wet towel I wouldn’t even use to clean my arse. But considering that I finished the plate of pickles, so what the heck. Then of course don't forget to add the GST, CESS yada yada. You get the drift.
When you are there:
Remember to choose a table away from the raised wooden platform. It gets annoying when the floor manager sprints to and forth, busying himself with the customers’ take-aways. The ground literally shakes, so does my appetite. And also, very strangely, this restaurant doesn't accept NETS or VISA readily, so make sure you have extra cash.
Trivia:
Strange name it has there - Koo Kee... like coooo-kieee
and I'm actually blogging about this at the Starbucks two door away... even stranger.Koo Kee Dumpling & Ramen House
233 Victoria Street Bugis Village
(2 doors next to The Starbuck)
Pictured left: My bowl of Five Spices Beef Noodle (halfway through when it struck me that I should capture this to share with y'all peeps. Trust me, it looks more enticing off-lens)
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

Comments (0)
Post a Comment